Twin Transit will officially open the new Market Street bus stop on Monday, March 1, 2021. Located in front of the Chehalis Manor, this new stop features a bus pullout, which is designed to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion at the intersection of 3rd and Market.
The stop is dedicated to longtime transit advocate Jean Fairgrieve, who organized volunteers and collected signatures to have public transit placed on the ballot in the 1970’s. The measure was voter approved in 1976, which led to the foundation of Twin Transit the same year. Since then, Twin Transit has grown exponentially, expanding to include LIFTT service, a DARTT dial-a-ride program, clean energy integration, community service support, and two physical locations. The dedicated Market Street Bus Stop is a tribute to Fairgrieve and her fellow community organizers, who brought public transit access to our community.
The following route adjustments will also take place on Monday, March 1:
- To help improve the flow of traffic, Twin Transit will no longer travel through downtown Chehalis. Instead, buses will turn right from Market, drive past the library, and turn left on Washington. The Downtown Stop will now be located one block up the hill from the Colony House, on NE Washington and Division Street.
- The Colony House shelter will be removed.
- The Chehalis Timberland Library stop will be added.
- The Town Center stop will be removed and the area will be served by the Walmart stop.
- The Lewis County Work Opportunities stop will be removed.
- A new Chehalis Safeway stop will be added. It will be located behind Safeway on Washington Street.
- The Lewis County Gospel Mission stop will be removed. This area will be served by the Courthouse Bus Stop location.